Nestled on the western shore of Humboldt County, amid the towering redwood trees of northern California is South Bay Charter with a population of 70 students in grades 7th-8th. South Bay Charter is one of three schools in the South Bay Union School District. Both school campuses are located south of Eureka with a population of 28,000 , and 280 miles north of San Francisco. South Bay School students live in neighborhoods that range from economically disadvantaged to upper-middle-class single-family dwellings. The neighborhoods are spread out through the district of 49 square miles. South Bay Charter School population boasts a strong spirit and hard work ethic. The staff strives to be exemplary role models of nurturing, caring individuals. We offer extended educational opportunities until 6:00 p. m. each day through our EXPLORE after school program. This allows our students to receive help with their homework, recreational and educational activities that better prepare them to meet the demands of the State Academic Content Standards.
The Vision and Goal of South Bay Middle School
All of the teaching and learning that takes place at this school can be summarized in a few basic beliefs in what we want you to be and do. If, with the assistance of your parents, we are able to help you to become a successful learner, you should:
- Believe in yourself: Believe in what you can do, what you can accomplish—that means being willing to apply your mind and energy to the task at hand.
- Take care of yourself: Make good decisions for yourself and for the world you live in—the little world of South Bay and the big world called Earth that needs our care.
- Care about other people: Reach out your hand to help other people, your family, your friends, and your community—be a good citizen.
- Have a dream: Find a goal, develop a passion, conjure up a vision, and be willing to work for it every day of your life.
- Never give up: Don’t let yourself down or let go of what you believe in! Be willing to put up with the difficult times because surely there will be some, but that only makes the achievement all the more rewarding.