REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
02/13/2020 06:20 PM
Pine Hill Elementary School (LIBRARY)
5230 Vance Avenue, Eureka, CA 95 503
Welcome to the South Bay Union School District, home of the Pine Hill Pandas (K-3) and South Bay Sharks (4-8).
South Bay USD supports the development of intellectual curiosity and thirst for discovery by recruiting a superior staff, providing unparalleled and ongoing training, and accepting responsibility for student achievement.
Board of Education
The South Bay Union School District (SBUSD) Board of Trustees meets on the second Thursday of the month with meetings alternating between Pine Hill and South Bay schools. The agendas for the meetings are posted here at least 72 hours before each meeting.
Addressing the Board
You may speak on a matter not on the agenda at the beginning of a regular meeting during the time reserved for public comment. After being recognized by the President, you will be allowed three minutes for your presentation. The Board will take no action on the matter at this meeting. You may speak on any item on the agenda when that item is being discussed.
In order to address the Board, please wait for recognition by the President. Speakers are expected to be courteous and to avoid any remarks that reflect adversely on the character or motives of any person or on his or her race, religion, or political or economic views. The Board will hear public testimony on any given topic for a maximum of twenty (20) minutes. Each speaker will be limited to three (3) minutes. The Board may, by consensus and at its discretion, extend the time limit.
Complaints are to be addressed by first speaking with the person directly involved. If this does not resolve the issue, the complaint should be submitted in writing to the Superintendent. The Superintendent will investigate and respond in writing. Only after exhausting these levels can a written request be submitted asking that the issue be heard by the Board.
While school board meetings must be open to the public, California law provides for closed sessions which are not open to the public when the Board is considering expulsions, suspensions or disciplinary actions in connection with any pupil; the appointment, employment or dismissal of a public officer or employee; or when the Board is hearing complaints or charges brought against a public officer or employee. The individual may, however, request a public hearing. In addition, the Board may hold a closed session to discuss certain aspects of negotiations with employees and pending litigation.
I. OPEN SESSION - 6:15 PM
1. ROLL CALL
2. PUBLIC COMMENTS REGARDING CLOSED SESSION
3. ADJOURN TO CLOSED SESSION
II. CLOSED SESSION - 6:20 PM
1. PERSONNEL (Pursuant to Government Code § 54 957 and Education Code § 44 896 and 44 951) – Consider the appointment, employment, evaluation of performance, discipline, release, dismissal, acceptance of resignation or any other action otherwise affecting the employment status of a public employee.
2. NEGOTIATIONS (Pursuant to Government Code § 54 957.6) – Conference with labor negotiator Superintendent Storts or designee regarding South Bay Teachers’ Association, Classified School Employees’ Association, and/or Unrepresented Employees (Confidential and Classified and Certificated Management).
3. POTENTIAL / PENDING LITIGATION (Pursuant to Government Code § 54 956.9) – Conference Superintendent Storts: Potential litigation.
III. GENERAL SESSION - 7:00 PM
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
IV. PRELIMINARY FUNCTIONS
1. REPORT OUT FROM CLOSED SESSION
2. PUBLIC COMMENT TO THE BOARD
Members of the community are welcome to address the Board of Trustees on any items listed on the Agenda, or any other item of specific concern within the jurisdiction of the Board. No discussion or action shall be taken on any item not appearing on the Agenda. Please limit your comments to three (3) minutes per speaker. The Board may limit total time for public input on each item to twenty (20) minutes.
3. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA
V. CONSENT CALENDAR / ROUTINE ITEMS OF BUSINESS
The Board considers all the items listed under the Consent Calendar to be routine and will be enacted by the Board in one action. There will be discussion of these items prior to the time the Board votes on the motion, unless members of the Board, staff or public request specific items to be discussed and/or removed from the Consent Calendar.
1. Approval of Minutes
2. Approval of Expenditures
3. Approval of Personnel Changes
4. Contracts and Consulting Agreements
VI. COMMUNICATIONS AND CORRESPONDENCE
1. School Enrollment and ADA
2. South Bay Times Newsletter
Written reports may be submitted in lieu of or in addition to oral reports.
1. Bargaining Units / PTSA / ORGANIZATIONS
Bargaining Unit and local organizational representatives are provided the opportunity to address the Board on any item of business that does not appear on the formal agenda.
1. CTA - Certificated Bargaining Unit
2. CSEA - Classified Bargaining Unit
3. PTSA - Parent Teacher Student Association
2. Departmental Reports
Department representatives are provided the opportunity to address the Board on any item of business that does not appear on the formal agenda.
1. Explore Program
2. Family Resource Center
3. Alder Grove
4. Facilities Report
6. Special Education
3. Administrative Reports
Administrative staff are provided the opportunity to address the Board on any item of business that does not appear on the formal agenda.
1. Principal, Pine Hill
2. Principal, South Bay
VIII. INFORMATION ITEMS
1. 2020-23 Strategic Planning Meeting
2. 2018-19 California Science Test (CAST) Results
3. Redwood Region Learning Community
4. School Services of California, Inc. — Fiscal Reports
5. 2020-21 Governor's Budget Summary: K-12 Education
6. Request for Proposals and Qualifications for Lease-Leaseback Construction Services for the Pine Hill Elementary School Reroofing & Light Fixture Replacement Project
7. Making the Grade 2019 — How Fair is School Funding in Your State
8. Fall 2019 Parent Interview Results
IX. ACTION ITEMS
1. 2020-21 South Bay Union School District Calendar
2. 2019-20 Comprehensive District Safety Plan
3. Board Policies and Administrative Regulations — Updates
X. FUTURE AGENDA PLANNING AND DISCUSSION
1. Next Regular Meeting Date: March 12, 2020
2. Upcoming Regular Meeting Date: April 9, 2020
3. Board Discussion
It is recognized that each board member may have items of interest to share that will benefit the school district. Each member will be given an opportunity to comment at this time.
NOTICE: Any writing, not exempt from public disclosure under Government Code Section 6253.5, 6254, 6254.3, 6254.7, 6254.15, 6254.16, or 6254.22, which is distributed to all or a majority of the members of the governing board by any person in connection with a matter subject to discussion or consideration at an open regular meeting of the board is available for public inspection at: South Bay Union School District, 6077 Loma Avenue, Eureka, California, 95 503.
NOTICE: The district adheres to the Americans with Disabilities Act. Should you require special accommodations, or auxiliary aids and services in order to participate in the board meetings, please contact the Superintendent’s Office in writing three days prior to the meeting at the following address: 6077 Loma Avenue, Eureka, California, 95 503.