South Bay Union School District has adopted a Wellness Policy that is in line with state mandates. The following are the goals of this policy:
- Child Nutrition Programs, comply with federal, state and local requirements and are accessible to all children.
- All foods and beverages sold on campus during the school day are consistent with current federal, state and local requirements.
- The school environment is safe, comfortable and pleasing with ample time and space allocated for eating meals.
- Sequential and interdisciplinary nutrition education and physical education are provided to promote student wellness.
- All students are provided the opportunity to be physically active on a regular basis through physical education and physical activity programs designed to meet or exceed the California Department of Education regulations.
- All school-based activities are consistent with SBUSD Wellness Policy goals.
Celebrations, Rewards, Marketing: The school district will encourage the use of healthy foods and/or activities for school celebrations.
- School staff and Parents will be notified of the school’s preference for healthy food or activity based celebrations.
- The school will inform parents of healthy alternatives whenever possible.
- Celebrations should occur after the class’s lunch period.
- School personnel will take opportunities to model healthy food choices while engaged in school and/or district activities.
- The school district will discourage the use of food or beverages as a reward for student accomplishments nor will they withhold food or beverages as punishment.
- The school will limit the marketing and advertising of unhealthy food and beverages.
- Food or beverages that do not meet the nutrition guidelines stated above will not be heavily promoted.